Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Archive Page layout  (Read 2114 times)
KEZ
Admin
Child of the Most High

The Wolfish One

View Profile WWW
« on: February 01, 2012, 12:28:36 PM »

As the story gets longer and it gets more difficult for everyone to keep up, I wanted to have this new archive feature available. It'll half timeline, half archive, allow character and event tracking, and have direct links to the world/cast pages. Here's how it looks so far.

All the character and "interest" icons will be clickable or have a hover feature that brings up more info. I decided I'd rather do this than complete the Guide, which I will likely never work on again. Uh oh, I just typed never, so now I'm getting the urge to dig up those files. Anyway, comments welcome! Let me know if there's more you'd like added.

"We threw stones at the stars and the whole sky fell."
fauvem
Of the First Ones

A random Crest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 03:40:09 PM »

I like it.
KEZ
Admin
Child of the Most High

The Wolfish One

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 05:08:19 PM »

Cool.

fauvem
Of the First Ones

A random Crest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 10:24:36 PM »

Upon further examination, my recommendation would be to include hover buttons for the four winds.
Mark
(OF DOOM)
Child of the Most High

I'll come back as a cyborg

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 04:10:41 AM »

I approve. However, there are a few things I might change/pay attention to.

When you go from right to left, I would make sure the left one is clearly lower than the right one which comes first. That way the order is clear at first sight and even lazy people who don't pay attention and miss the arrows won't get confused. Right now you can easily read Start -> Interim 1 -> Book 1. Book 2 is a lot better in that aspect.

The whole thing looks a little busy right now. You might want to leave a little bit more open space in between chapters. The map is a nice background. There's no need to cover it all up Wink
KEZ
Admin
Child of the Most High

The Wolfish One

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 08:56:47 AM »

Some friends on another forum said the same thing, so I'm definitely going to move up the panel on the top right. Thanks!

Mark
(OF DOOM)
Child of the Most High

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 04:42:33 PM »

You're welcome. Instead of moving the top right panel, you could also move the third/Interim panel down a little bit.
KEZ
Admin
Child of the Most High

The Wolfish One

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 05:08:00 PM »

You're welcome. Instead of moving the top right panel, you could also move the third/Interim panel down a little bit.

Did both, moved some other stuff around. Will post the update tonight. Smiley

KEZ
Admin
Child of the Most High

The Wolfish One

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 08:41:01 PM »

Update

KEZ
Admin
Child of the Most High

The Wolfish One

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 03:07:53 PM »

And WHAM

Mark
(OF DOOM)
Child of the Most High

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 03:46:33 PM »

This is not a problem now, but it might become one later. With the 3 different storylines in book 3, it can become a real mess if you keep having different storylines under one another instead of next to eachother (= neatly sepparated). Right now it's perfectly clear what's going on, but add one or two more chapters and it's a mess of arrows that are impossible to follow. If there's going to be an arrow that starts from part 2 that has to go through or right next to part 3 and/or 1 it's going to be difficult to see where it came from. For book 3 I would either put the chapters in 3 sepparated colums (possibly slightly overlapping in a stairs formation) or put the 3 chapters above eachother with plenty of room on the side for arrows.

I don't know how it will look in full size, but I still feel it's very crowded. I don't know if it's possible, but it might look a bit calmer if you made the whole page 1,5 times as wide while keeping the panels the same size. A little extra length probably wouldn't hurt either. More open space would also mean you have more space to hide those easter eggs you mentioned elsewhere Wink
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 03:48:38 PM by Mark » Logged
KEZ
Admin
Child of the Most High

The Wolfish One

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 07:20:51 PM »

I've barely been able to work on it so far, but you can see it coming along here. http://warofwinds.com/war-of-winds.php?page=archivebig.htm Tested ONLY in Firefox10.

Yes, I'm definitely going to have to take care that things don't get confusing in the flow of chapters in book 3. Likely I will do a split of background for each chapter, so that sections are clearly marked. That's something that I'm not going to worry about now, since it takes the better part of a year to get through 1-2 chapter parts.

Also, photobucket resized the last image I posted. It should be 200px wider. I'm hesitant to make it bigger because loading time will be long enough as is (it's already going to be 2Mb+). If I knew flash, I'd do this totally different, but alas. I think that is one program I will always have to pay someone else to work for me.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: